FTC Disclosure: If you make a purchase via a link on this site, I may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thank you!
Vacation Rentals on Cape Cod
Questions to Ask Before You Rent
Many of the best vacation rentals on Cape Cod are offered online, "for rent by owner".
When it's time to find your perfect rental home or cottage, communication between you and the owner (or rental agent) is key.
Before you make any final decisions, contact the owner or agent and ask lots of questions. Request more photos, if necessary. Find out as much as you can about the home, its location, and what's included and what's not.
Here's a checklist of things to ask about each of the Cape Cod vacation rentals you're considering ...
Vacation Rental Checklist
- Number of bedrooms?
- Number/size of beds in each bedroom?
- Any sofa beds or futons?
- Maximum number of people permitted to stay overnight without extra charge?
- Air conditioning? If so, what type of units? (central air, window units)?
- Central heat?
- Cooking facilities and equipment? Full kitchen, gas or charcoal grill, pots, pans, dinnerware, lobster pot, etc.?
- Do bathrooms have bathtubs, only showers, jacuzzi, etc.?
- Linens and towels provided? If so, any extra charge?
- Washer/dryer on-site?
- TVs, DVDs, Wireless Internet, etc.?
- Outdoor shower?
- Beach chairs available for tenants' use?
- Bicycles available for tenants' use?
- How much private outdoor area/yard with the property?
- Proximity to beach? (What beaches in walking distance? How far to walk? What beaches in easy driving distance? Beach parking pass/sticker required? If so, is pass/sticker included with rental?)
- Nearest grocery shopping?
- What kind of restaurants/activities/shopping nearby?
- If in a neighborhood, is it family oriented, mainly adults, etc.?
- Are pets allowed?
- If so, number and type of pets allowed?
- Extra charge/security deposit for pets?
- What is rental rate? (Might also want to ask, tactfully, if the rate is negotiable.)
- Any other charges (taxes, rental agent fees, cleaning charges, etc.)?
- How much advance deposit required? When is it due?
- Type of payment accepted (cash, personal check, certified check, credit card)?
- When is final payment due?
- Written rental agreement? (Always read the rental agreement carefully and be sure you fully understand and agree to all provisions, before signing!)
- Security deposit? How is security deposit handled? When will security deposit be returned? What charges may be made against security deposit? How will charges against security deposit be determined, documented, resolved?
- Cancellation policy?
- Handicap access?
- House/yard suitable for small children?
Ask Me a Question About Cape Cod Lodging
This Month's Most Popular Pages
If this page was helpful for you, please let me know
by clicking this button. Thank you!
Ever thought of having your own website? I built Cape Days "from scratch" with SoloBuildIt! Click below to find out more ...
Important: Lodging owners/management may change their rates, discounts, special offers, promotions, services, amenities, dates of operation, availability, etc. at any time, without prior notice, and without my knowledge. Be sure to confirm all details directly with the lodging provider before you make any travel plans!